For six Gwinnett teachers, the day started like any other… students arrived, the bell rang, and lessons commenced. But then, the visitors arrived. And by visitors, we mean folks with cameras, balloons, and congratulatory signs like you might see with the “sweepstakes prize patrol.”
On Oct. 12, the selected teachers were surprised with the news that they had been named one of half a dozen finalists for GCPS Teacher of the Year (TOTY).
Congratulations to these honored teachers:
- Ebony Flott, Camp Creek ES, 4th Grade Teacher
- Dr. Doug Doblar, Head ES, Mathematics and Science Teacher (Gr. 4 and 5)
- Cheri Nations, North Gwinnett MS, STEM Teacher (Gr. 6–8)
- John Chvatal, Brookwood HS, AP and Gifted Biology Teacher (Gr. 9-12)
- Michelle E. Jones, Gwinnett Online Campus, Mathematics Teacher (Gr. 9-12)
- Amy Crisp, Norcross HS, English to Speakers of Other Languages Teacher – Language Arts (Gr. 9–12)
For the six finalists, the next step includes interviews and classroom observations by a selection committee made up of former TOTYs, administrators, and central office staff. On Nov. 9, at a gala banquet, the district will announce the county TOTY and level winners. Stay tuned!