Dim the lights and pass the popcorn! Films by Lanier HS and Brookwood HS filmmakers (including some 2018 graduates) have been selected for the 2018 All American High School Film Festival! The festival will screen student work at the busiest theater in the world— the AMC Theater 25 in Times Square in New York City. Festival winners will be announced in closing festivities on Oct. 7.
Part of Lanier’s Multimedia, Communications, and Fine Arts Academy, the Digital Media and Film Program has grown and transformed in the last four years under his leadership. Lanier Productions, led by Keith Phillips, serves 140 students in Audio Video Technology and Film courses (I-III) and Work-Based Learning opportunities. In these AV-focused courses, students create a wide variety of content for their school community— from morning announcements, documentaries, and short films to sports highlights, public service announcements (PSAs) and commercials, and music videos. Mr. Phillips collaborates with other industry professionals to ensure his students have authentic, hands-on learning experiences with equipment and software used in the film industry.
Last year, three Lanier films were screened at the festival. After seeing other student-produced films, the students returned more passionate and motivated to improve their craft. “After attending the All American Film Festival last year, I realized the films featured were the best of the best,” says Andy Cole, a Lanier senior and an intern with GCPS TV. “To be featured alongside the best of the best for the second year in a row is an honor.”
Official Selections from GCPS
Countdown (Animation) – Sebastian Soler (Brookwood HS)
Home Opener (Action Sports) – Ian Islam, Thomas Harmond, and Melanie Zburlea (Lanier HS)
- Homecoming Promo (Action Sports) – Melanie Zburlea, Thomas Harmond, and Ian Islam (Lanier HS)
- We Are Lanier: LSLT (Documentary) – Barry Chen, Bruce Garcia, and Chris Reyes (Lanier HS)
- Providence High (Drama) – Jordan Powell, Sara Samuels, Lauraina Horack, Faith Laws, and Nichole Stringer (Lanier HS)
- Signing Day 2018 Promo (PSA) – Andy Cole, Thomas Harmond, and Valyn Turner (Lanier HS)
- Atlanta International Night Market (PSA) – Barry Chen (Lanier HS)
- LANIER (PSA) – Thomas Harmond and Andy Cole (Lanier HS)
Find the selected Lanier HS films online.
So what goes into making a 60-second video?
In the case of the award-winning LANIER public service announcement…
- 21 Teachers
- 48 Classes
- 510 Students
- 324 GB of Footage
- 34 Total Hours